Sewer Design Questions/ Issues

Moderator: Carlson Support

Sewer Design Questions/ Issues

Postby emorse4487 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Hello All,

I have some questions regarding sewer design and I'm hoping someone can help me out; all questions pertain to Carlson Civil Suite 2011:

1) Perhaps most importantly, does Carlson have the ability to draw soil boring logs? We have hundreds of boring logs, there has to be an easier way of drawing them.

How we implement this boring data on the profile is shown in the second picture below.

2) Is it possible to have separate layers for existing & proposed structures (along with their associated text)? I typically like to show existing manholes at half-tone but there is no way I can find to differentiate between existing and proposed structures within the sewer network dialog.

3) In Draw Sewer/Pipe Options under Draw Horiz Axis Annotations, does anyone else have trouble getting the prefix for Invert-In text to work work? Is there anyway to move this text up inside of the profile grid as shown in the picture above? This text interferes with the horiz/vert scale that Carlson draws on the lower left corner of the profile.

4) TR 16 Guides for the Design of Wastewater required a drop through manholes is a minimum of 0.1-feet. There are a couple of places to define this but neither of them seem to work. I have tried the option in "Draw Sewer/Pipe Options" and "Edit Sewer Structure"; Actually, I don't understand how Carlson is calculating my inverts, they all vary considerably and it looks like it is working from the center of the manhole and back calculating the inverts based on manhole width and in & out pipe slopes.

This is demonstrated in the picture above which actually has 0 drop through the manhole.

5) Is there a way to draw Sheets without stationing by a centerline? We are working on an old variable width county road that has no baseline. I would like to use the sewer network as the centerline file but I can't figure out how to do that.

6) How do you turn off the profile "Preview" that keeps being placed within my drawing?

Suggestion; In the Pipe Material & Manning's N Library add a section for "Description". Manning's numbers change based upon material type/size & installation quality. As a result we have numerous manning's numbers for PVC pipe. Adding a long description to the Pipe Material Library clutters up the profile (it appears the "Pipe Material" is being pulled from the library rather than the "Pipe Material" dialog located in the Draw Sewer/Pipe Options.

Suggestion: National CAD Standards calls for flow arrows to be placed on a separate layer. Add layer option to flow arrows.

Suggestion: Add option to draw "Title" at the top of each profile based upon centerline file name (Road name) or Sewer Network Name

Thanks a lot,
Eric J. Morse, P.E.
MEC Industries, LLC
emorse4487

Postby site admin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:12 pm

PLease copy your question and send it to support@carlsonsw.com so we can take a look at it. Please provide the images as well. Thank you
site admin
Site Admin

Postby kwgarnett » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:05 pm

The only question i can answer (and that just partially) is #3. Try unchecking "Draw Horiz Axis Annotations" and check "Draw Annotations Below Invert" This will move your annotations inside your profile grid, aligned below each invert. (The same thing could be done using the "above rim" option as well, or you can use the "annotations with leader" option but I have had some trouble getting those to come out the way I want.
Kevin
kwgarnett

Postby emorse4487 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks for the reply, you are correct Kevin, when selecting any of the other options for #3 the text seems to work as it should. I'm not a fan of this option as the text is often hard to read on the grid... I guess I will have to get used to it.
Eric J. Morse, P.E.
MEC Industries, LLC
emorse4487

Postby dr » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 pm

1. Yes, the Carlson Geology module has routines to enter and draw borings.

2. Have separate profiles for the existing and design structures. Then in the 2nd Draw Profile dialog, go to Layers and put these 2 profiles on different layers.

3. The Carlson Development staff has fixed the problem with the Invert-In prefix. Update will be in the next build.

4. One way is to go to the Sewer/Pipe Labels on the 2nd Draw Profile dialog and go to the Manhole tab and set the drop.

5. You have to use a centerline for sheets.

6. The leftover preview was a problem that should be fixed now. If not, please let us know by email at support@carlsonsw.com.
dr
Site Admin

Return to Hydrology